Saturday, November 01, 2008









































From Freak Folk to Free Jazz


I seem to be leaping from one extreme to another with gay abandon.

Oops that latter phrase is charged with so many sexual connotations, perhaps I should leave it out?

It has never been so easy to obtain all those rare free jazz albums that you used to dream of as a teenager. Thus you have to try & be selective.

Many of the ‘bright young things’….e.g. Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore are helping to get this material out there instead of it lying dormant in some vault. Thanks to them my own knowledge has improved e.g. Ronnie Boykins has been a revelation.

I know what I like, but I am prepared to open my ears to new stuff. (this country is blessed with some of the best jazz happening now!) The Isla jazz festival seems to be where it’s at every year.

I have a soft spot for American jazz of 50s & 60s plus the jazz rock, electric miles stuff from later periods.

Much of the stunning British jazz of the 60s & 70s is still hard if not impossible to find on cd. Maybe I just have such warm memories of catching great jazz on radio during that time.

I also enjoy all the branches of jazz fusions……e.g. jazz rock (Chicago Transit Authority, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Mahavishnu Orchestra), jazz funk (Herbie Hancock, AWB, Weather Report), 3rd stream (john Mayer/Joe Harriot’s Indojazz fusions).

I came late to the Blue Note albums, but I am catching up.

No comments: