Monday, November 10, 2008




































The Hesitant Snakehandler




I got caught out again this year, as I waited in vain, for those couple of weeks of steady sunshine, that never arrived, over what was a forgettable summer.

Last year I ended up taking holidays in January or I would have lost them. This year it is in November. Both of them dead winter months of short days & long nights, mostly spent indoors. I mean what is the point in taking holidays at that time of year if you are not going abroad?

I have to do what my ancestors have always done: go within.

Listening to Sakir Oner Gunhan’s ‘Kara Kasli Yar’ seems to capture the mood of sadness that accompanies the dark winter months.

This Balkan mixture of ecstatic joy & deep sorrow has much in common with our own Celtic music tradition.

Perhaps it is just that we love to celebrate joy following sadness, as spring follows winter.

No comments: