Monday, November 24, 2008




































Psychogeography Without the Aid of a Safety Net




It was an usually sunny day & mild for the time of year, my car was still at the menders, but hey, I am a young boy, I can cycle.

I had been wishing to cycle around the area I can see from my place of work: the cycleway around the Renfrew golf course.

I cycled up to the Yoker- Renfrew ferry & hopped across the river & got dodgy directions from the ferrymaster that led to a slight diversion.

I eventually found the Normandy Hotel (which is now past it’s sell by date) & the start of my route.

I also came across a strange sight of, what looked to be graves, surrounded by a Victorian fence.

I ‘googled’ this without a result until I re-discovered : www.devilsplantation.co.uk & there I found the info listed.

This was in fact 2 bits of either 1) Argyll Stone or 2) St Conval’s Chariot.

Legend has it that St Conval crossed the sea from Ireland on this stone & that in 1685, the 9th Earl of Argyll was captured on it after an unsuccessful invasion against James VII (& II).

See also Harry Bell’s ‘Glasgow’s Secret Geometry’ & ‘Fifty Facts About Renfrewshire’.

No comments: