Sunday, November 02, 2008





















































5 Leaves of Solid Air Left



Did this really happen to me recently? Was I playing a Gene Clark cd & then rabbiting on & on about how refreshing & timeless it sounded?

I will have to check this blog’s archives to back-engineer my scorched memory.

Anyway ‘White Light’ by Gene Clark sends me right back to Colin & Phyllis’s place, sometime back on the cusp of the 70s. A venue that was steeped in that country rock vibe of Gram Parsons, Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers……..etc…………..

Albums & places & time are all grouped there in the memory somewhere.

Before he became a Highlander, I was often found at my friend’s place, forever the home of Van Morrison’s ‘Astral Weeks’ for me.

Another amigo from that period (now gone) will forever be associated with those classic Steve Wonder albums (when Tonto’s Headband were backing him).

Same time, another address in Maryhill & it is non-stop Grateful Dead. Just around the corner in Belmont St & it was Joni, Beach Boys, Dylan & let’s not forget Harry Nilsson.

Moving further south to Muswell Hill, London & we are swaying to Joe Walsh’s ‘The Smoker You Drink’ & Steely Dan.

Take a few paces East & South & we are on Colva Beach, Goa & it is George Harrison’s ‘All Things Must Pass’. How apt.

Moving on a few years & I find myself at Les’s in Manchester & his flatmates sound choice of solid soul & reggae & dub.

What do I remember of my own listening at home over any of that period? Naturally there would be ‘Solid Air’ & ‘5 Leaves Left’ & a strong dose of what used to be termed ‘Progressive Music’ by the media, although it was not the pap now referred to, by that term.

No comments: