Saturday, May 17, 2008
























The Spoonbenders @ the Eggshell Repair Workshop

Where do we go from here? Follow the Jacques Tati career path?

I love all that amateur DIY stuff. I used to laugh at my father’s awful attempts at DIY before it was named this. His hand-crafted bunk beds & sofa repairs, were truly the work of hands destined for other things. Am I becoming him?

There is absolutely no harm in being a bungling Jacques Tati in this mad world full of the next fad, the next best thing. I do not think my sons see this yet. This world needs that anarchic sense of fun, that less than perfectly-formed wall, those paving slabs that buckle in the rains, nothing that runs in a perfect straight line.

I must admit I do attempt to use a spirit level, but I believe that this is not this device’s true purpose….i.e. for detecting the presence of ghosts.

Sure there is a place for perfection & it is always better to get someone to do a good job. This is not a perfect world, sometimes the cracks in it are what makes us fell human. My own Bombay taxi, driving skills I cherish so much, are a prime example, I would not have it any other way.

I can see an affinity with the work of all the Outsider Artists of the world & I do have a passion for those artforms.

No comments: