Saturday, May 24, 2008





































Oh no Eno

Oh no, another of those Eno moments. It’s Monday a.m. early & time for the garden waste to be recycled. As the lorry moves up the street, there is the screech of it’s compactor, combined with Anvil Salute’s ‘This is the Voice of Doom Calling’, this was very organic & acoustic but played at bat level, due to the early hour.

Incidentally, I played this album to the Happy Highlanders & they were let us say, less than impressed!

The recycle lorry disregards the early hour & goes about it’s business & the sounds mix in with Anvil Salute & create an interesting effect.

I have given the Happy Highlanders the opportunity to catch up with some freak folk, but they didn’t seem overcome with enthusiasm, perhaps they were just overtired with attending so many gigs.

Getting back to ‘The Voice of Doom Calling’ & I am reminded of John Fahey with a drummer.

3 comments:

gw said...

Thanks for the mention of my band, Anvil Salute. I guess that your reaction to "This is the Voice of Doom Calling" is most positive. As a side note, at one time in the beginnings of the band, we were all library school drop-outs. A feat not uncommon in our hometown, but an odd bit of synchronicity perhaps.

abeattie23 said...

hi gabe

Thanks for the comment. It is great to know there are people reading this blog.

I did not realise about the library connection.

I am really getting into this freak folk thing .it is such a breath of fresh air. At almost 55, it is good to get so worked up with these sounds that make me remember when I heard the first wave.


Any other suggested bands to look out for would be useful........i believe I was one of the few people in scotalnd listening to the fugs/holy modal rounders/pearls before swine...back in the day.


Hope you also enjoy the photos..i live in a beautiful country......

yes your band excites me very much pls carry on........

gw said...

Everything old becomes new again, eh? The pictures are quite lovely. The landscapes there seem much preferable to the concrete and red dirt dust-ups of central Oklahoma.

In terms of suggestions, lately I've been listening more to the fairer sex and their music. Mostly, I have been listening to Nalle from Glasgow (http://www.myspace.com/nallemusic). I've also been listening to a lot of Spires That In The Sunset Rise (http://www.myspace.com/spiresthatinthesunsetrise. Most anything on Greg Weeks' Language of Stone label (http://www.languageofstone.com/) is worth listening to at least once. Then again so does the Fonal label. I've also been jiving on the the new Lau Nau & Islaja records too. A lot of these can probably be had from what I would guess is a relatively local mail order outfit, Boa Melody Bar (http://www.apexonline.com/melodybar/). Gayle is aces and her musical project Pefkin is achingly good.

best,
gabe