Thursday, May 15, 2008

































Sally Go Round the Roses

It’s that time again: the West Dunbartonshire Book Festival has started & that also means that Glasgow’s West End Festival is already on the horizon.

I managed to attend the inaugural event as I did last year. It was held in the superb Millenium Hall, Gartocharn with it’s intensely beautiful backdrop.

Although I had watched Sally Magnusson (I KENT HER FAITHER) read the Scottish news up until 7 p.m. when I left the house (with a seriously dodgy exhaust fault in the vehicle!) & I arrived at the event @ 7.30, Sally was there looked relaxed & vibrant for 8 p.m.

This was in itself an astonishing achievement, knowing the potential for traffic hold-ups around the Glasgow area. She delived her talk on Eric Liddell showing how he was much more than the character portrayed in ‘Chariots of Fire’.

She kick-started the festival, which is now in a period of transition in it’s 8th year, making the journey from being organised by a friend & colleague, to an event that is designed by committee. Whether this will work or not we shall find out in the next few weeks.

No comments: