Sunday, March 11, 2007



Life in a Scotch Sitting Room, Vol 3 part 4

Ivor & John gone but not forgotten.

Daddy what was life like back in Glasgow when people didn’t care about money & they just tried to get on?

Well one of the pleasures in my simple life included meeting my girlfriend, now my wonderful wife & going into The Ceylon Tea Centre (Sri Lanka) in Buchanan Street for a meal. You could have a wide selection of, what was at that time quite a radical idea, fresh salads & a large pot of tea with a boiling water refill on the side. The salads were to die for I can still remember the huge portions & the tremendous value for money. Friday nights were special of course & although I frequented roughly the same area of Sauchiehall Street as todays’ bright young things, there was not the same level of sleezy, drunkiness that exits now. It was a happy peaceful time, man.

Often into The State Bar & then onto the Maryland across the road to see some spectacular sights both on & off the stage, e.g. Edgar Broughton Band erupting into ‘Out Demons Out’ at the end of their set. It still brings a smile to my lips whenever I fall nostalgic & put it on.

No comments: