Monday, July 09, 2007




Grannie was a Twister


As I got Mrs B up to dance yet again @ a recent wedding reception, lots of mixed images flooded my muddled brain.

Maybe this is what happens when you get old? I have also been listening to the ‘Kill Bill’ soundtrack & I think that Quentin Tarantino is as cool as brazil bossa nova.

I decided that ‘the twist’ was the appropriate dance for the Beatles song that the awful band were killing. I smiled as I pictured John Travolta & Uma Thurman dancing to Chuck Berry’s ‘You never can tell’ in the movie. I watch this scene often as it’s so ‘way cool’.

Also if you ever saw Ringo Starr doing the twist you will understand how well it could be done.

Further memories crept in as the reception was held at the Grosvenor Hotel at the top of Byres Road. We lived in a dodgy basement flat underneath when we were first married.
We had such an insane time in that flat & friends including 2 Glasgow Palestine Human Rights Campaign activists & 1 of the happy highlanders have been close friends since then.

I even had a ‘near death’ experience there & I was taken across the road to the Botanic Gardens to chill. We re-lived this event by my wife sitting on the steps outside the old haunt & I cut across to visit one of my favourite flower beds.

This was what brought on the strange smile as we twisted the night away.

No comments: