Monday, October 06, 2008




Fleshmarket Close


Busy week on the library front that included a trip to Edinburgh & Stirling on following days. Jetlagged.

It has been such a long time since I have been in the home of Scottish government. My time there was brief & spent at the National Library of Scotland for a meeting.

It was such an odd day that began with me attending the funeral of one of my friend’s father.
On the train out to Edinburgh, I had great intentions of a) catching up on my reading for the meeting or b) listening to some new sounds mp3-ed on my moby.

I did neither of these, because the chap sitting next to me taking photos, from the window was obviously foreign & possibly, arab. Being a ‘weegie’, naturally I started a conversation & being a ‘smart ass’ this was totally in Arabic all the way from Falkirk High to Waverly. The journey passed in the blink of an eye.

The capital has changed so much since I was last there. They have built a castle on a hill.(haha). I was busy looking for all the Rebus locations & yes I did cut through Fleshmarket Close.

On the return journey, I was with 2 colleagues from the meeting, but it was not all library chat, we discussed gardening over a cruel Scottish summer & the position, value & cheap cost of having an allotment in today’s credit crunch year. Once again the journey was painless.

As I changed trains at Partick, I met another of my schoolmates, Dennis & I filled him in concerning the earlier funeral & the fact that another schoolchum has mentioned him name at the funeral.

I do not wish to make a big thing about the latter coincidence, but it was so ‘Magnolia’.

The journey out to Stirling was by fast car, but it is one of my favourite journeys on a clear day, which it was. It is no wonder one of my cousins lives on this route. Probably for the same reason as her, I feel very comfortable & at home in this area between Drymen & Stirling.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Hi There,
I am a P/T Lecturer and PhD student at the University of Brighton, United Kingdom as well as intermittent nomad. I am writing an article and a paper about early counterpublic/ countercultural books/ezines/ catalogs that inspired foreign travel in the mid 60s' and early 70s. I will be contrasting the stories of individuals who engaged with such literature with more current web based counterpublics such as couchsurfing.com / bewelcome.org

The media I am looking at include:
BIT Travel Centre - Overland Guide to India / International Times / Oz and Frendz / Whole World Caralog Supplement / On the Road / Full Tilt – Ireland to India with a Bicycle - Dervla Murphy / Rat / Village Voice

I am making Skype telephone calls to individuals who engaged with this literature and which ultimately helped inspire them to travel abroad. I got your blog address from a comment you made about the freak buses to Istanbul .

It would be great if I could get 15-30 minutes of your time to ask you about the impact of this literature on your travels and life in general.

Regards
Michael
mjo2 (at) bton.ac.uk

Ph.D. Candidate
School of Service Management
University of Brighton
49 Darley Road
Eastbourne, East Sussex
BN20 7UR

University: www.brighton.ac.uk
Personal: www.irish-guy.com
Personal: www.nomadx.org
Telephone: +44 (0)1273-643679