Sunday, April 06, 2008













































A New Way of Walking: Psychogeography

Time for a serious discussion about Pedestrian Culture: I had stopped making music, as I grew increasingly interested in Soundwalks or the natural sounds around me.

I did not realise it at the time, but I was also concerned with the more visual aspects of this discovery at the same time.

‘Begin to reason about it & you at once fall into error’ (Huang Po d850)

On a recent perambulation, I spotted a huge piece of sandstone, lying beside an underpass, that I wanted to shift to my garden to form a centrepiece to for my stone circle.

On a recent perambulation, I spotted a huge piece of sunshine, lying beside an underpass, that I wanted to shift to my garden to form a centrepiece to for my stone circle.

I thought I could get it in the boot of the car, so I took the biggest son with me, but we could not budge it. Reluctantly, I had to abandon the operation.

I ask myself why I feel the need to build this structure? What is driving me to such extreme behaviour? Is it some innate Celtic/Druid thing?

Recent walks have sparked an interest in what is going on around me & what has shaped my landscape. Perhaps how I could shape my own landscape.

For some peculiar reason, the modern equivalent to ‘dowsing’: google, led me to psychogeography & Harry Bell.

Harry Bell’s ‘Glasgows Secret Geometry’ has helped me cope by pointing out that this is quite a widespread phenomenon.

I did not realise at the time why I enjoyed Iain Sinclair’s ‘London Orbital’. This was a pedestrian view of what was happening in & around a big city, if you chose a different mode of transport & selected less popular routes.

Harry Bell would call this ‘a straight road with no path’ something that obsessed him.

‘If you wish to see it before your eyes, have no fixed thoughts either for or against it’ (Seng-t-san d 606).

The quotes mentioned above could be from some trendy coffee table book called Zen & the Art of Walking.

No comments: