Monday, April 14, 2008












































Hard Landscaping

Deeply entrenched in my memory lies the early appearances of Arthur Brown happy in his crazy world singing ‘Fire’ & Brian Auger & Julie (Driscoll at that time: Tippetts, now) covering ‘This Wheel’s On Fire’. Was I fascinated by the fire element even then?

As I write this I am listening to Auger/Tippetts ‘Encore’, where they cover one of my favourite songs by Jack Bruce ‘Rope Ladder to the Moon’ from his best album ‘Songs for a Tailor’.

On ‘Encore’, Brian Auger is able to find space to show us how exciting his organ playing can be. I have neglected their albums over the years, but I plan to out this right.

Another forgotten band of that period & whose work is difficult to obtain, is the superb Peddlers. I have 3 stretchy cassettes of their albums, but I am on the look out for digital versions.

I still have a lot of interest in the jazz trio format or the jazz rock genre. Chicago Transit Authority, Blood, Sweat & Tears, If, East of Eden, & Colloseum……etc still excite this poor boy.

Just today, I finally got around to playing Delivery’s ‘Fool’s Meeting’ from 1971. However it was well worth the wait as it sounds so fresh today. I did hear selected tracks before, recorded on my old trusty, Grundig 4 track reel-to-reel from John peel’s shows.

No comments: