Monday, February 04, 2008






















Kings of Convenience

When I first heard ‘Riot on an Empty Street’ I thought how novel & fresh this sound was. Note to self: I should listen to KOC more often.

I admit I heard shades of Simon & Garfunkel, but thinking back, I now realise with the gift of hindsight, that what I was also hearing was a superb tribute to the music of the ‘Free Design’.

This unknown 60s band, to these ears at least, have formed the creative background to so many interesting current bands, e.g. Stereolab, Broadcast, High Llamas ………etc.

Why they failed to make an impact in the 60s is obvious. They were so contrary to the music that surrounded them. They were so out of step with psychedelia. We can see that now because we have the advantage of being able to cherry-pick the best sounds of that period.

Personally at this stage I am so glad they stayed true to themselves & made no effort to ‘go with the flow’ to use a phrase from my white water rafting career move.

The Free design are the freshest sounds I have heard in a long time & this music was recorded 1967-69.

No comments: