Sunday, January 14, 2007




Smiling Men with Bad Reputations

Last night I returned to Milngavie’s Fraser Centre for a gig by Mike Heron. Considering he played Woodstock with the Incredible String Band, the low turnout in Milngavie might have puzzled him.

I have seen Robin Williamson with various line-ups & as a solo performer & I was under the misapprehension, that the ISB was mostly his creation. Last night convinced me otherwise.

Looking like the long lost twin of Lou Macari, who was badly in need of match fitness (that thickening of the middle section of our bodies happens to all of us alas!), he gave a memorable, high calibre, performance that flashed us all back to the day.

As usual at any of the related ISB gigs, everyone knows the words,(even if they are an lp side long!) & they all sing along.

My wife accompanied me this time & she was equally bowled over by this impish legend. He had the makings of a great sound with his daughter Georgia playing drums, keyboards & singing. Another guitarist was in tow & believe me, especially in the second set they were cooking & the sound was awesome. All the old songs were given a new life. I was not too impressed by the version of ‘The Greatest Friend I have in Life’, but perhaps that is because I play the old version myself, but the rest of the old material was hugely improved.

These gigs at the Fraser Centre in Milngavie are the best ever, the least publicised & the most intimate performances lets hope they continue.

No comments: