Sunday, January 28, 2007







Epitome of Cool

No I am not talking about Chet Baker, Steve McQueen or even Audrey Hepburn. I am thinking about a sad librarians Friday night that usually consists of viewing music programmes on bbc 4 (the only tv channel worth watching). I am seldom disappointed & often enlightened.

Last night’s documentary on J.J.Cale was exceptional. His songs have always been drifting around our house since way back when. That cool, smokey voice & laidback sound certainly fits in with my frame of mind.

He has been given a rebirth of sorts with Eric Clapton paying back some of his dues. Although he has recorded inferior versions of ‘After Midnite’ & ‘Cocaine’. Clapton’s sound around the time of ‘461 Ocean Boulevard’ owed so much to JJ. Early Dire Straights stole this sound too.

However watching JJ, I now realise that he had such a sensible anti-commercial stance throughout his life. He kept his whole musical life within his own grasp. He did own up to a rather colourful past (I mean who did not trip the light fantastic at that time).

A recent discovery for me has been David Munyon, who has strong elements of that Cale sound. I had ‘Song for Danko’, a recent release that I love & this week a copy of an album called CD3 was brought down from Aviemore.

No comments: