Sunday, January 21, 2007













A Kitchen Gurus Guide to Houmous or How the Chains Keep Us Dipping, Part 1 of a Two Part Trilogy

Let us begin by stating that costs are the prime movers in this adventure. You cannot beat a good value for money return. However as far as the rival dips go: e.g. taramasalata: Sainsburys wins hands down, no question- with their smoked salmon concoction. This, hands across the sea, mixture suits me personally, as I am half Greek, or is it half Scottish, on my mothers, or is it my fathers, side of the family. No matter, it rocks like the MC5.

Now, back to the hommos as we say in Arabic. No one seems to be capable of creating a decent rocket flavour, but Tesco do go all out to produce exotica. However, I would question their tactic of calling these apparent afterthoughts: toppings. This is in my opinion a cop-out, e.g. pesto or balsamic vinegar & red onion. Although I must admit that the latter is dynamite. Also when it comes to Lemon & Coriander houmous, Tesco are in a class of their own, everyone else is having a laugh.

Sainsburys is second to Tesco as far as quality goes, but the gap between is substantial. I have a new exotic product from Sainsburys in the fridge: avocado, but you have to be very fast in our house as believe me a shoal of hungry sharks would be in a long queue behind my sons.

Morrisons is by far the best when it comes to cheapness & Asda is not even at the races. They just provide an insipid selection because their competitors do so.

Outside the big chains: Roots & Fruits do a decent Rose version, this is their red pepper variety. However, I would hope that my boys & my work colleagues would agree that yours truly makes the best.

No comments: