Tuesday, January 06, 2009











































Pagan Poetry


Tearful start to the new year as I always remember my

father on this day. ‘My name is Nobody’.

I am trying to bite the flesh from my Bella di Cerignola

olives & wondering whether my father passed

through Puglia, when he travelled up into

Southern Italy fighting for the British army.


How could he fight for a foreign country?

He never spoke about the war apart from

the fact that he entered Southern Italy

& his love for Italian culture. I am listening

to Bjork & her angels of Vespertine

& getting wet eyes. At least next door has

this fine cd as well.

Let us reflect on his legacy to me, a love of

Italian culture (I did drift around

Southern Italy for a while) & more

importantly, a love of our own countryside.

Reading Robert McFarlane’s ‘Wild Places’

brings back so many memories of being

‘out there’. His insightful comments

on the Clearances & the potato famine

are powerful too.

Perhaps I am just run down with this flu virus

that seems to have affected everything, the pc,

the car & me.

No comments: