Sunday, January 18, 2009

















































Geography of the Psyche



Finding a crack in the pavement, in a 2 week gap, where I fell between my 2 active reading groups, I found myself out of my comfort zone & in a place where I could actually choose what I read!

It had to be Iain Sinclair’s ‘Lights Out for the Territory’. He has to be my favourite writer, even although I have only ever read ‘London Orbital’.

Incidentally, I have thoughts about this surname, St Clair (Sinclair). Is this not one of the Knight Templar/Freemason families?

He depicts a view of London seldom scene, as if it is in another land, every piece of minutiae is examined under his cracked microscope.

This is an arcane & alchemical London with it’s entry gates fashioned after Jerusalem.( Knight Templar/Freemason ties again!)

Even in 1995 his encounters with at that time very primitive CCTV & Security firms point forward to the future. His descriptions of a Kray funeral & bullet heads with devil dugs are superb. It is delivered at walking pace & you are just sucked into the language & the beautiful prose.


I love the way he sees hidden meanings & patterns in everything around him.


We could all benefit from his reflective, in-depth, perceptive view of our environment.


‘Memory is not what it used to be’ (Jerry Lee Lewis)

No comments: