Monday, January 21, 2008




















































One Man’s Exotica is Another Man’s Esoterica

Maybe you are already deeply entranced in Swedish Psychedelia or the new ‘freak folk’ & I am speaking to the converted?

Perhaps Italian Bossa Nova & Italian 60s/70s movie soundtracks are already your bag man & you have been diggin’ that fab, groovy in-sound for the way out since the Beatles stopped touring?

My listening experience is undergoing a complete overhaul (as it should) & my cd player is giving me strange looks every time I hit ‘play’.

However, I am rewarded by hearing a wide range of gorgeous, new sounds, well new to these ancient ears.

What has led to this change? Certainly a download culture that encourages you to listen to other sounds you would bypass if you had to invest in the crazy price of cds each time. You could not afford to make mistakes before.

For too long popular culture has dictated what is available for us i.e. a very limited range with a short shelf life.

From the visual point of view look at what happened with the video rental business. I know that it is in the dvd format now, but it does not seem that long ago, when there was a wide choice of videos in e.g. World/Global cinema/art house in the outlets. Now what do you have? The same number of items, but with only the top ten titles.

This echoes what has happened to your tv choice. You have a wide range of channels, but I challenge you to find something that will hold your interest for more than 5 seconds.

In my library I have tried to redress this balance, trying to get back to basics. I have around 1000 titles, but this is not the same ‘pap’ you would find in the dvd rental shops, but we are going back to that choice of World Cinema/classic movies & art house films.

No comments: