Sunday, January 06, 2008










































Interesting Walks for the over 50s Without the Aid of a Walking Stick or a Map & Unaccompanied by a Dog: no. 23 of a 175 part series

Time allotted = 2 days (late starts make this 2 x 2 hours!)

Objective = investigate alternative ascents of Kilpatrick Hills to Loch Humphrey

Day 1 Base Camp. Overtoun House (No time for dog suicide watch duties!). Basic error no. 1: should have paid attention to the omens i.e. darkening sky, drifting snowflakes.

This was new territory for me as I did not know you could ascend to the Loch from this approach, but I always enjoy a fresh challenge & exploring virgin territory.

Climbing as the snow fell heavier, but there were many fresh views of the River Clyde & the surrounding hills before the sky disappeared. I had one of those ‘Land of the Grey & Pink’ moments: just prior.

Struggling with the dusk & the heavy snow above & below, I headed back down before reaching my objective, but I thought perhaps next time, if I selected the main route, I could retrace my steps in this direction.

Day 2 Base Camp Power Station just off the A82 at the main path to the Loch.

Equipment check: yesterday’s walk suggested I wear the Happy Highlanders old jaiket under my own. I will also try using my ‘Weather Man’ umbrella & take my mobile as I have Terry Riley’s ‘No man’s Land’ on mp3s that I can listen to as I step into ‘No Man’s Land’.

The start was again in snowfall and as I climbed this grew heavier. A sensible person would have turned back! The brolly gave some shelter from the driving wind & snow, but soon I would have to abandon the brolly as the howling winds would make this piece of kit a burden to me.

Onward & upward. Soon I would stop passing people heading down. I was on my own against the elements.

The wind & snow was stinging my face, I could not see the path any longer & there was severe drops on either side.

Fashion note: Green wax jackets are not so last year!

My hopes of checking out yesterday’s route were dashed. I was amid a total whiteout.

At the Loch, I saw the snow drift off the banks into the water & I was reminded of a time & a place far away with warmer temperatures, when I would watch warm winds play the same game with sand dunes.

As I turned back I could not even find the footprints I made minutes ago. They had been covered with snow.

At home I told my sons of my adventure, they did not believe me as there had only been rain at sea level. They asked for evidence & I pointed out all my clothes soaked through & hanging up to dry. They suggested this was only rain. I told them to take a walk outside & check the hills, but they would rather play some new American football game on the Playstation.

1 comment:

keith beattie said...

green wax jaikets man, what a laugh! OLD SCHOOL! - though they do look pretty cool with your drain pipe troosers and your british knights winklepickers....

http://www.countrysupplies.com/pix/1/products/2329-m.jpg

check it out!

Peace K.