Saturday, November 24, 2007


























Centring

Listening to a Terry Riley & Don Cherry album from 1970 flashed me back to that period. What was happening to me then. Why did I enjoy The Doors so much? I now think it could have been that basic pulse common to all Celtic peoples: the drone.

I know I have ranted & raved about this in previous posts, but I feel it is so central to our old way of living like those standing stones, scattered throughout Scotland & given decent descriptions in Julian Cope’s massive tome.

Looking back at my vinyl collection I was a little obsessed with both Terry Riley (In C/Poppy Nogood/a Rainbow in Curved Air)(the latter is used as the title of this modest blog!) & Don Cherry (Eternal Now/Relativity Suite/Actions). Why was this?

Perhaps I was searching for a comfort zone, roots, ambience or something meditative. I have always enjoyed Indian sitar music & World Music before it became a fashion.

I suspect it was due to the fact that this kind of drone used to be central to our way of life & now it is not.

Maybe I am just afraid of silence. I know that if I am in our toilet in the early a.m., I am much happier opening the window, despite the cold air rushing in, because I enjoy the ambient sounds drifting in.

No comments: