Monday, November 05, 2007



Babel, Babble, Babylon by bus











We all know what happens when a butterfly flaps its wings. My life has been choc full of the consequences. Someone else is steering, I know I have very little control over my own life. So what!

Maybe this is why I loved ‘Babel’ so much. Prior to writing this I checked for verification. I ‘googled’ ‘Babel’ for reviews. To be frank, I baulked at the results. It was slated . Perhaps the reviewers have short attention spans. Certainly they seem to ego-centred Americans, who totally miss the point of the movie. They could not cope with Brad Pitt & Cate Blanchett having such minor roles in the film. However I am certain that they could easily identify with the media frenzy that surrounded the main event in the film & the assumption that it was an act of terrorism.

For a Christian country I thought at least the reviewers would have picked up on the biblical references.

In a world divided by money, race, religion & language, threatened by terrorism, the relationship of seemingly random events across 3 continents shows how people fail to grasp what is really important in life. They are building (twin) towers into the sky, when they should be reaching out to communicate with those around them. Love is a central theme in this film. Get past the babble of modern life & listen to each other.

Everything in this movie is outstanding, the soundtrack, the photography, the atmosphere, the parallel storylines that eventually converge & the underlying comment about life in the 21stthink.

No comments: