Friday, June 01, 2007



Teddy Boys Don’t Knit






Finally got my hands on Viv Stanshall’s Peel Sessions & this reminded me of last year or was it the one before, when BBC4 were running a couple of documentary on the Bonzos.

I am old enough to remember when they appeared on children’s tv during the 60s. What an impact this must have had on me when I realised it was really ok to be excentric/surrealist or just to be myself. How liberating this was for me.

Sadly for Viv this had its down side. I recently read a biography of Viv that showed the dark underbelly. However the wacky characters he created will stay with us long after he has gone.

Henry Rawlingson’s End is surely the best.

You realise you are getting old when most of the people you remember from the Peel shows are now dead. Some of them died tragically at a young age & others like Peel himself lived to a decent age……..e.g. Ivor Cutler.

No comments: