Sunday, August 17, 2008























For Monty Don


I used to look at other people’s gardens & think that those pansies, petunias & marigolds are ever so boring. Why does everyone have these same elements in their garden.

From experience now I can see why. They are easy; they re-produce new flowers all the time, especially if you deadhead regularly.

I have had some outstanding hanging basket displays of petunia over recent times , but this year has been different thanks to some freebie pansies from a local supermarket. Despite the relentless rain, I have pansies everywhere & while they are way down my list of interesting flowers, they have supplied a colourful display for what might be called summer by some, & monsoon by others.

This is in a nutshell why I take pleasure from the contact sport that is gardening. You are in total awareness of the seasons & you notice each little bud as it appears & one even finds surprises along the way e.g. I did not plant nasturtiums this year, but I have outbreaks of them all over.

No comments: