Sunday, December 23, 2007

End of an Ear

Wading through the boring list of last year’s the best of whatever & 1 list I do attend to is ‘the Wire’s 2007 Rewind: 50 records of the Year.

To be honest, I have 40+ of these releases & I think that this is a very healthy sign.

Robert Wyatt’s ‘Comicopera’ is sitting @ #1….way cool man, I can dig it as we over 50s say. Karl Heinz Stockhausen was laughing all the way to his grave (R.I.P).

Last Xmas, I obtained Sufjan Stevens album of xmas songs & playing it constantly gets you in the mood, but hearing songs of quality sounds better than the usual stuff you hear elsewhere.

What’s shaking my xmas tree:

18th Day of May

v/a – fistful of fuzz

brian hanratty – American winter

hans Frisch – sjooooo

greg davis – somnia

Beirut – live Glastonbury

Stanley bros – Columbia recordings

Daevid allen’ gong – banana moon (69 classic)

Animals – winds of change (1st lp) psychedelic headcleaner

Gavin bryars – sinking of the titanic (new version with phil jeck): spooky listening to this as I have spent the last week watching boats, divers, police outside the library window searching for bodies of mariners after their tug went down!!!!


No comments: