Sunday, December 23, 2007

Between 2 Rivers: More Tales of the Riverbank

Living between the Forth & Clyde Canal & the River Clyde, I also enter a comfort zone walking along the shores of the Leven or the Clyde in Dumbarton.

My workplace has constant views of the Clyde & it is so important that this river is no longer hidden from sight, behind buildings as if we are ashamed of it.

Recently however the tragic side of the river has been on view. I found it totally surreal to be eating smoked salmon & listening to a live string quartet at an end of year party, when outside the huge windows, there were large numbers of police, divers, coastguard & boats searching for bodies.

As I grow older the waterways & the hills are becoming central to my life. I am no longer heading off to Kathmandu on a whim or a 4 month jaunt, so on a micro level I find enough to interest me closer to home.

I hope to get down to see Dunglass Castle at some point. It is more than just a convenient name for a roundabout. I would also like to continue my exploration of the area around Balloch Castle & the woods.

I remember a notion I once had, that if you could not reach the place you wanted on foot, then it was not worth going there.

(insert ‘Goodnight Irene’ ‘Sometimes a Great Notion’)

My colleague, Neeraj has booked an 8 day holiday in Goa this January with his new wife. He asked my advice on Goa & although I am deeply touched that he would respect my thoughts on this matter, I fell so helpless as my information is now redundant in such a rapidly changing world. It is 33 years since I was there. Please note kabalah heads here is another magic number!

There was no hotels when I was there. Certainly no-one could envisage a Marriot going up amid all those dirty hippies. The only ‘goa trance’ I knew, was when we lit up the first of the day!

8 days holiday, it took me 8 days to get a jar of water from the well or to get the one-eyed goat shepherd to deliver the goats & the fresh milk, to my spot on the beach.


No comments: