Tuesday, April 03, 2007




Moving Without Travelling



‘Catch a falling star; put it in your pocket save it for a rainy day’.

Sometimes the searching for something elusive can be more pleasurable than obtaining the result. Not always. Life can often create disappointments.

This week has resulted in the acquisition of materials from 2 exceptional bands. This has been a gnawing irritant on the back burner since the late 60s.

After a search of some 37 years, I was certainly not let down by Mandrake Memorial, who have been criticised by others as being 2nd division psychedelia. This is a nonsense, possibly put out because of their incredibly, high level of musicianship. In my humble opinion this band are way up there at the top of the Premier, period.

The other band is Jan Dukes de Grey. I have been looking for this since I saw the covers on the Deram/Dawn label? Recently I discovered they were on the NWW list. I just got a cd named ‘Sorcerer’, but as this is 67 minutes long & the average lp of that period was around the 40 minute mark, I suspect this may be a compilation. I will check a discography to find out.

It hasn’t grabbed me yet maybe it will take a little longer. I remember this came out around the same time (& perhaps on the same label) as Comus. Now they stand the test of time exceptionally well.

No comments: