Sunday, April 08, 2007





Divine Right’s Trip

Oh right where was I? Now I remember a dreaded first visit to Blackpool. I can now wear the t-shirt ‘I survived Blackpool Pleasure Beach’. Reminds me of the gung ho t-shirts available in Saudi Arabia after Gulf War One.

‘Don’t knock it till you try it’. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience although I was living vicariously through the wonder & shock & awe of the young children in the party.

Speaking of which, my ego got yet another dent as we boarded a Beaver creek’ canoe with our designated young person & his dad, when the official advised strap in well son & your dad & you too, granda!

Does old age happen to Deadheads, too?

On reflection, the reason I enjoyed the trip so much, was not so much for the event, but totally to do with the people that came with me.

This echoes what my Sierra Leone, table tennis opponent at Bell College used to say, when I asked him if he had been out & about to e.g. Loch Lomond. He stated why would he go there? I told him it was one of the most beautiful places on God’s earth. He replied that he didn’t know anyone there, he had no friends there, and therefore why would he go? People were what counted, not places. I do believe he has a very valid point.

No comments: