Sunday, February 25, 2007

Chaos Theory

Recently I watched yet another crazy Finnish movie. The Finns seem to be as obsessed by alcohol & misery as us Scots perhaps even more so. Anyway this film was called ‘Frozen Land’ it was rather long for films these days at around 2 hours. However like me you are a sucker for anything that highlights chaos theory you will love this movie. You know the old adage about a butterfly flapping its wings.

While I was writing this believe it or not, I was actually listening to Terry Riley’s ‘Rainbows in Curved Air’. Its not that long since I played this, but I was surprised at how clean it sounds from its 1969 recording. It is also very short. That gave me the opportunity to play some Sun City Girls & this led me to wonder about whether it is pc to enjoy their fake takes on asian cultures with their odd vocal stylings & dalek mutterings & laughter. Since writing this I just found out that Charles Gocher the 54 year old drummer with SCG has died of cancer. What a year for deaths!

I think they are an amazing band & I do not believe they are making fun of other cultures they are actually promoting music from these areas. Their Sublime Frequencies label issues many works from culturally endangered regions.

This led me to ponder about Mr Cohen’s humour in Borat & whether it was politically correct to fall about laughing.

I then played Ray LaMontagne’s ‘Til the Sun Turns Black’ & the rain went off, the sun came out & as soon as it was finished I played it again rapido. This is surely the best cd since I don’t know what.

53 years old & still doing what I have been doing since I was 16!


No comments: