Sunday, February 11, 2007


I’ve Got Those Fleetwood Mac, Chicken Shack, John Mayall Cant Fail Blues Again!

Let’s see what else has slipped under the radar lately. It’s a case of what goes around, comes around. The whole blues thing was very much a part of my life during the late 60s early 70s. Been there done that! I cannot really listen to much of that material. There are exceptions to every rule however. As the following might suggest:

There were albums that did not set the world on fire at the time, but going back now & re-listening to them certainly brightens up my life.

Some of these artists have been thrown back at me by current djs….e.g. Gilles Peterson has reminded me of how great both David Axelrod, Harvey Mandell & Shuggie Otis were. I am listening to the latter’s ‘Here Comes Shuggie Otis’ as I write this @ 9.30 Sunday a.m. & Its pouring outside. Hold on & I will turn it up, way over ‘bat level’ for the ‘Happy Highlanders’ as one of them is going a little deaf with age. Ah that’s better.

The whole white blues thing from the states had some great artists, beginning with the Electric Flag & then the solo albums by Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper…….etc..had that extra something that is difficult to describe. There was of course the part they played in the formation of the electric Dylan sound.

I heard one of Al Kooper’s recent cds & it was dire. However, I can still remember those tracks I had on my old Grundig, 4 track open reel recorder & how sweet they were. Unfortunately, a lot of this old vinyl stuff has stayed well below the radar unlikely to get re-issued on cd.

No comments: