Monday, February 05, 2007


Scottish Baroque

Please excuse me while I go off on one again. Alright, I wont mention the remarkable co-incidence (or the half-remarkable question!) involving me starting Colin Harper’s book on Bert Jansch & his interview in this month’s ‘Wire’ magazine.

I am being driven in this direction by that whole psychedelic folk revival across the Atlantic. Recent concerts in Milngavie, where I saw John Renbourn onstage or in the audience, kept Bert Jansch in vogue. They were sparring partners for so long. At one of these concerts, I met Stuart, who recommended Colin Harper’s ‘Dazzling Stranger’ about Bert Jansch & the first British folk & blues boom.

This month’s ‘Wire’ also has a feature on Bert & I have recently re-listened to my Pentangle cds. I am reminded of the only time I saw Bert live & this was @ Bellshill library. An exceptionally intimate performance that convinced me of Bert’s greatness.

From the book, I discovered that Bert was tight with both Clive Palmer & Robin Williamson of the Incredible String Band. They all lived together in Edinburgh over a number of years.

I am enjoying the details about this post war beatnik lifestyle with all the Kerouac overtones, the sandals & beards & dufflecoats. Bert, Clive & Davy Graham for some strange reason found themselves in rather exotic parts of the world: North Africa, Afghanistan & other parts of the Middle East. This was to have a major influence on their lives & work.

Also this was to point the way for the next generation. What amazed me, as I was growing up, was that I felt that myself & my peers, were opening up new avenues of exploration. The naked truth was, that many of the above characters had already ‘been there, done that’.

No comments: