Sunday, October 22, 2006



Of Milkmaids & Architects

I know I really should get out more. I had the opportunity last night to go & see Martha Tilston & the Woods @ Oran Mor. This was my first visit to the Glasgow venue. I am old enough to remember it as a church. We used to live just across the road below the Grosvenor Hotel, when we were first married.

I recognised the support act from Milngavie Folk Club, The Metronomes & I was deeply impressed that first time I saw them & last night although plagued by dodgy sound engineering, they were even better. Watch out for this duo.

Martha Tilston I had never heard, although I knew her dad Steve’s work. Incidently he played Glasgow a couple of nights previously (why didn’t Martha mention this?). The stage was all decked out like a forest glade with mock fires, leaves…..etc & there was leafy & weird visuals. I was expecting some kind of Finnish psychedelic folk or some of the new American backwoods folk like Cul De Sac, Joanna Newsome, Vetiver…..etc.

However, I did not expect such a great performance. Her hirsute companions could have been the band straight from their Woodstock log cabin.

Outasight!

No comments: