Friday, October 20, 2006


Black Swan

One of the Happy Highlanders thought my review of Bobby D’s new album was a bit harsh. Maybe it will grow on me. I will re-listen as soon as I get the time. I have just come off a back-to-back exposure to John Renbourn’s ‘9 Maidens’ & ‘Lady & the Unicorn’. I have recently seen John Renbourn live & I would have had the opportunity & I should have asked him about something that has puzzled me since I first encountered his solo albums. Why when he had discovered this beautiful medieval English sound did he stop making those terrific albums & make these pseudo Americano albums. A format that is more suited to other artists!


As usual Happy Highlander No 1 is on the same wavelength as he appeared yesterday with Bert Jansch’s new album ‘Black Swan’. On first playing I was deeply impressed by this cd. I am of course a sucker for Beth Orton’s vocals & she is all over this cd.

I mentioned earlier that I was re-discovering the Pentangle sound. I was drawing comparison with much of the new freaky folk from the US & Finland. Also this new breed of outsiders owes a lot to the Incredible String Band who are undergoing a new lease of life both in Aviemore & Clydebank.

Finally, this is not the correct forum to mention this, so I am not going to make any reference to Celtic’s return to their glorious form of old in the European theatre & their total annihilation of the quality opposition, that used to be the mighty Benfica.


No comments: