Thursday, June 29, 2006


What's the Hampden Roar

Ok so I tried hard not to mention that dreaded word: football. All during the current, mad climate of celebrating the beautiful game on the world stage. The best little country in the world is sadly not represented this time. I don’t feel bad about this as our near neighbours are busy making a fool of themselves as usual and once again, upsetting the whole world with their antics. Even many of the English themselves are growing tired of the hype. To me its like Big Brother goes on holiday. All the lowlives with too much money & very little sense & with the easiest games possible & with last minute rescues, have progressed further, than this level headed unbiased fan of the game thought possible.

Surely Portugal, even with a depleted squad, due to some wicked decisions, will sort them out & stop all this 1966 nonsense. I mean there was a National team in 1967 that taught that 1966 England team a lesson. This I will not forget along with Archie Gemmell’s later piece of magic.

I am sure the suicide rate around the world must soar now that there are so few games & such large gaps between matches.

If anyone thinks I will be supporting England in what is surely their last game, then they do not know me. I am not a big fan of the Portuguese since they cheated Celtic out of a deserved Uefa Cup, but I would rather they won than those loudmouths south of the border.

Also, I would just like to mention how shocked I was at Henry’s antics the other day during the France vs Spain game, where he held his face in an effort to get Puyol sent off. The resulting free kick caused the goal that made the difference & won the match for them. Although Zidane’s magic at the end would have done that anyway.

Although the refs have done a lot to sort out a lot of the cheating in the box during this competition, there is an incredible amount of cheating going on in other parts of the game.

Anyway, I have been disappointed in the lack of flair during this World Cup. Even Brazil have not turned it on. Maybe they are saving it for the final?

No comments: