Thursday, June 08, 2006





The World of Small Things


I enjoy the quiet moments in life …..these are harder to find…….the world of small things…….the glitchy music where nothing happens…..the Derek Jarman films like blue….the Brian Eno music………when did we stop looking up @ the clouds in wonder…..sometimes you have to take yourself out or away from yourself to see the wonder & beauty in life & God’s creation……
I must admit I find prose/poetry/film/music much more interesting when you look at the cracks in the sidewalk or the in-between days……not for me the grandness & the ultra car chase/crashbang..more of everything that makes up our modern consumer world.

this attitude came to me when I was making 'soundwalks' & listening to other versions of the same idea. It is only when I was recording natural sounds onto minidisk that I discovered how entirely fascinating the audio landscape was around us & shocked by the fact that we are de-tuned to it.

it was only by wearing headphones & by using a microphone that I got hooked into the micro audio universe.

I still find this area of exploration exciting & this has stopped me doing stuff with samplers & synths & turning me to the richer sounds in our ignored environment.

this reminds me of happier times & longer summers, lying on my back staring up at the clouds or closing my eyes & drifting into slumber focusing on this aural delight.

Being a big Hafler Trio fan led me into some of these areas of sound. Chris Watson who was with Cabaret Voltaire & who later formed one half of the Hafler Trio with Andrew MacKenzie has produced some excellent work as a solo artist. In my opinion some of his best work has been recorded in Bonnie Scotland. He works as a sound recordist for the bbc & the quality of his work is exceptional.

No comments: