Monday, May 01, 2006




Jazz rock or jazz funk fusion?

Back after a dead week of winter vomiting, (in spring?). Picked up Billy Cobham best on cassette from the happy highlanders & it is now transferred to cd copy. I had forgotten how great a lot of that jazz rock fusion stuff was. It all began for me quite early with Peel playing that first Chicago Transit Authority double gatefold lp to death. I have since bought about 3 copies of it on vinyl/cd. He also complimented this lp with the first Blood, Sweat & Tears album. These have remained 2 of my favourite albums to this day.

Later maybe it was the times we lived in, but it all got so cosmic. I remember seeing John McLaughlin, a firm fixture under my own, or happy highlander no. 1’s arms, at greens playhouse and being totally blown away. Can it ever get any better than this? Well yes. I am sure my friend and myself will always have strong feelings about this period & we have exchanged recordings of this era with knowing glances that indicate no need for words. Pure quality.

Maybe this concentration on the jazz rock output meant we missed the jazz funk period. These London soul boys who make my listening these days like Gilles Peterson were well up on the jazz funk bizness. I am catching up now on a retrospective trip.

Oh in case I forget, thanks for the new Donald Fagen. Steely Dan took all that jazz & made some of the sweetest funky jazz rock in their lifetime & it still sound so good today.




No comments: