Wednesday, May 17, 2006


Drifting


I was having one of those eno moments as I listened to some post rock or Finnish psychedelia with the windows open & the street sounds, birds, hovermowers cut in & out. I do listen to a lot of ‘soundwalks’ these days as well as producing my own.

There is so much sound around us especially during the Spring/Summer months that you only hear, when using a microphone & a pair of headphones and focus-in on your audio environment.

I remember lying on my back during those endless summers of youth, eyes closed absorbing the natural sounds around me. Where did that time go: it was only yesterday. Walking the Kilpatrick Hills even after school, catching trout with my bare hands, reading ‘Lord of the Rings’ in 1969 on these hills after hearing Tyrannosaurus Rex & their Tolkeinesque lyrics on the John Peel show.

Thinking about the time I was in a hospital bed in London in another eno moment, suffering from Hep B. (not the hep c for lightweights, that the junkie cons pick up!) & I had some money left after travelling about in India/Nepal & asked a male nurse to pick up some cassettes for me….Santana’s Caravanserai still takes me right there, right now.

It is appropriate that my favourite singer for the last 40 years has a new cd entitled ‘Drifting’ . Scott Walker like the Blue Nile knows that a 10 year gap between albums is ok.

Maybe drifting is all we ever achieve in this life. I personally accept this as a lifestyle choice.
Conrad Schnitzler ex-Tangerine Dream, ex-Kluster seems content to drift in last month’s ‘Wire’ magazine interview, taking care of his garden.

Paul Simon’s new album ‘Surprise’ is just that. What a disappointment! However, I did think of his lyric……..there is a moment: a chip in time’ apologies if I misquoted, but saying goodbye to Clare today, although it fills me with sadness, I am happy that we shared this time. I choose to see our team of professionals in the library like the John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers of the 60s so many great people passing through & moving on. This is getting too heavy man………but then life is like that (am I getting too old), our lives drift they sometimes touch, but then they split apart & we are gone.

No comments: