Friday, April 14, 2006


TUNE UP

Despite repeated warnings to the Happy Highlanders along the lines of: are you sure about this?

They suggested they would come down form Glenmore to see Bill Wells latest project @ CCA in Glasgow.

As I suspected there was another librarian at the gig, Stephen pastel & another pastel, catriona (who was to play drums on stage). I was astonished to learn that the Highlanders wanted to attend this gig, as they frequently despair at my eclectic taste in music, especially with regard to glitch/minimalism/Japanese noise etc.

Each year, I try & convince them of how superb the Instal @ the Arches had been. I am sure they just nod to placate me. To be honest I was not sure what to expect @ the CCA, as apart from great respect for Bill Wells, I did not know the work of the other musicians on the programme.

Although, I had a sneaking feeling that I had seen Kama Aina playing in Mono last year?

This concert was part of the Scottish Arts Council’s ‘Tune Up’ Programme of taking tours around more remote parts of the country. Along with Bill Wells there was Maher Shalal Hash Baz, Tenniscoats, Kama Aina & Kazumi Nikaidoh. The latter was unquestionably the star of the show.

My friends were pleasantly surprised, as they were impressed by the musicianship & the melodies. The madcap surrealism was captivating, as you were never sure what was to happen next.

I am quick to associate Japanese music with either noise (Merzbow/Aube) /retro psychedelia (Acid Mothers Tempel) /acid jazz (Mondo Grosso) /brazilia etc..and I realised that there is just so much more great music coming from that country. However, to see these acts live is such a delight.

No comments: