Friday, March 21, 2008


























Alone on the Rooftop of the World

The sun is out, it is not raining, a golden opportunity to get out hill-walking. Limited a little by time, as the CIS cup final is live on tv this afternoon.

This meant only a short walk in the hindu kush or as we call it: the Kilpatrick hills from the Cochno Loch direction. These hills are so close & yet so under rated. They are my friends in so many different kinds of weather.

It was also the first day of the fishing season, so there were many anglers around. I made good time, so I pushed on a little further than I had planned. The rewards were spectacular.

As I climbed past the Jaw Loch, the panoramic view of what I felt to be the whole world opened up in front of me. I have seen a similar view before as the Himalayas opened up to my eyes, there is only a difference in scale. The view & the effect is the same. All the high peaks in front & around me were dusted with snow. It was a clear day, hawks circled overhead, it was astounding.

Outside Katmandu, I have not seen such an awesome sight. Besides Ben Lomond, the Arrochar Alps…..etc….I could also see the 3 minor lochs: Cochno, Jaw & Humphrey. The latter looked so high above me, it was as if the world was round? It felt as if Loch Humphrey was half way up the sky, weird or what?

The silence was only broken by skylarks, gulls, geese & soaring hawks overhead.

I was puzzled by the appearance of lumps of frogspawn in the grass far from water. Had it been fished out by birds & dropped?

I also realised why I was so confused as a child. Mount Everest sounds a bit like Ben Nevis. Why is this? Is the ‘evis’ sound ancient Sanskrit or gaelic. Is there a link. Unfortunately, where I was it was impossible to ‘google it’ so I let it pass.

I was in a total comfort zone with a sense of place & a sense of space, room to breathe, as far away from the ‘media madness’ & the whole corporate control of our lives. Here I was totally free. Alone with God & it felt so real, so good. Further exploration of this feeling is essential, if the weather improves.

No comments: