Saturday, May 12, 2007



Booked! 07

I had to take a long weekend to try & catch up with myself. Its that time again; The 7th West Dunbartonshire Literature Festival. Yours truly has to make many appearances at events. It goes with the territory, it is expected.

This year, I made a special effort to attend the first event: Alastair Pearson Lecture & what drew me what the fact that Christopher Rush was the speaker.

As I had been impressed with his book on Robert Louis Stevenson’s journey through the Cevennes: a journey that he was to repeat 100 years later after a family tragedy, I wanted to go.

I had been told that the view out of the Millenium Hall, Gartocharn was breathtaking & it certainly was, even on an overcast evening with rain in the air.

I couldn’t make the Thursday event, although I did get to Ann Cleeves talk in Balloch Library on the Friday. I hadn’t read any of her novels, but if I ever get to choose a book to read & the time outside of my 2 Reading Groups, I will endeavour to read one of hers, as she certainly gave the audience the desire to pick up her titles.

Sometimes getting out of the house & making the effort to attend these events, that you do not expect to be all that rewarding, can be such an uplifting experience. Certainly this is true with many of these author visits.

No comments: