Thursday, September 07, 2006


Tartan Terrorism




Sometimes you feel so fiercely proud to be Scottish. 2 wins out of 2 in our World Cup campaign helps. It’s a bit early in the campaign to go all out Ally MacLeod, barking mad, but there is a faint glimmer of hope. Mind you we are in the so-called: ‘group of death’ ( we always seem to be & England end up with countries you’ve never heard of & I am far-travelled).

The English media’s coverage of Andy Murray’s rapid rise to the top lightens the heart. However, it is only by being involved in 3 Reading Groups, that I gained exposure to George Douglas Brown’s ‘House With the Green Shutters’. I found this lost Scottish classic to be so enjoyable & a constant page turner. A joy to read.

It is difficult being a librarian when you cannot choose the books you read. For the past 3 years, someone else has done this for me. I have discovered that this had led me into reading titles I would have avoided, but also almost all the titles I have read have been superb…e.g. ‘Time Travellers Wife’ , ‘Kite Runner’, ‘Kevin’, ‘No Great Mischief’, ‘A Gathering Light’….etc……

Its also very useful as the years pass by to learn new things. I work in an educational environment, so it is easy. I am in the process of learning to drive a 15 seat minibus & I am enjoying the experience.

Also I finally got around to listening to the Akron Family today & I would recommend this, but not while driving a 15 seater & reading ‘Green Shutters’.



No comments: