Saturday, September 30, 2006




Modern Times

Just in case I gave the impression that I don’t listen to recent music, I will review the latest album by Bob Dylan. Here goes: Bob discovers J.J. Cale & rips him off like he did with Martin Carthy & Bert Jansch in another lifetime. End of.

If gardening is the new rock & roll & fishing is the new kung fu, is Gordon Brown, (or John Reid another in the Parcel of Rogues): the new Tony Blair?

Alasdair Gray in 1992, wrote about the benefits of small countries having their own self- government. This was particularly important if the small country had a wealth of natural resources. At the time there was a whole cover up & black operation to smother any ideas of the Scots acquiring this wealth that should obviously go to our colonial masters.

Amid this bitches brew, Alasdair Gray points out that throughout history, there has existed this parcel of rogues, who are motivated totally by self interest & who do their utmost to put their own country down. Is this not treason? Hanging should be their fate, not the top seat in government. Certainly, if I was English (God forbid), I wouldn’t take too kindly to a smug bunch of tartan toe-rag, know-it-alls, running my country. I think the voters will show this in the next General Election. Enough of this rant & back to the music. Didn’t Bob Dylan used to be a protest singer, political, Jew, born again Christian?

‘If it keeps on raining, the levee’s gonna break’ – pure J.J. Cale. However, I would like to state that I am a big J.J. Cale fan so that I am enjoying this cd.

I am now remembering a John Cale gig @ Glasgow’s City Halls, back in the day & we were all there, all my friends in some sort form of abandonment. Many of these friends are now dead or facing a 6 month countdown. This last week, I heard of another clean living friend, who had worked in the shipyard gaining an apprenticeship, & then went back to College/University to get his degree & changed careers. I used to meet him swimming or at the sauna, he kept himself fit. He dropped dead at work. He was a couple of years younger than yours truly. When your time is up.

Happier times, happy trails.

No comments: