Saturday, September 02, 2006


If the Profile Fits, Wear It

Thinking of visiting friends on Scotland in miniature: Arran, over the September weekend. I hope we will be the only’ Weegies’ on the Isle. Just thinking how silly it is to remake the ‘Wicker Man’ one of my favourite films in the USA. Isnt that silly, it’s like making an American version of ‘Get Carter’! Oh, wait a minute, someone did!

Anyway the media has created mass hysteria. Last week some swarthy gents were taken off the Arran ferry. Were they speaking Arabic? No that was on a flight from Dubai to Manchester. I spoke to 2 students, who will be flying back from Dubai to Manchester to start University & there is a high chance they may speak Arabic on that flight. I should have warned them, I was talking to them in Arabic last week at the college. I will probably see then next in an orange jumpsuit on TV from Guantanmo Bay.

Good job they don’t check passports on the Arran Ferry. Mine would give even the slowest passport – official, much food for thought: Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia. If he looked closely at the Saudi cities & areas visited (assuming he could read Arabic), it would be orange jumpsuit for yours truly.

I hope they don’t ask me about my time working in prison, where I used to deliver books & tapes & talk in Arabic to Algerian prisoners, picked up during the last wave of mass hysteria.

I am reminded of the time I was held up by tanks in Greece during the Generals revolution or the long journey across the desert during the first Gulf War, or being arrested in Kabul for playing cards or the time I had to reverse the motor at 90 mph as 2 Bedouins pulled guns on each other & I had to get my wife & boys safe. Being a librarian does have some excitement!

I don’t want to harp on again about if we had our own country, we wouldn’t have all those enemies that Labour’s foreign policy has created.

‘Joy to the world was a beautiful girl, but to me joy meant only sorrow’. This Nilsson song keeps going around in my head from Nilsson - ‘Son of Schmilsson’ maybe it’s because Joy from the library has taken a few much needed days off. Enjoy.

No comments: