Sunday, July 09, 2006



Kon Tiki: or the Lures & the Dangers of the Exotic

I thought I would stay on this theme for a little while in order to counterbalance the space given to fitba.

I remember lying in a bed in St George’s Hospital, Hyde Park Corner then, I only mention the location as my friend Robbie, another Librarian, is starting work in the current Tooting location, (co-incidence??), & thinking to myself, I have done a fair bit of travelling, now is the time to settle down & get married.

I had just experienced a 4 month, mind – expanding, vacation on the old hippie trail. Maybe it was a moment of weakness or perhaps it was the fact that I had survived almost intact. I did have hep – b & I could have been delirious, but I did get engaged to my childhood sweetheart by phone from my hospital bed. This was a difficult process as no-one was brave enough to bring the phone into my isolation ward, except a chap, who had thwarted an armed robbery & had the back of his kneecap blown off as a result.

Anyway, I am well – pleased that my youngest son has proposed to his long - term girlfriend from an exotic location, Kos. This is their second visit to the island and I hope & trust that it will always be special to them. Might I suggest there is a pattern here? My son is deeply frightened that he will become anything like me. I was like this before I became just like my own father. It’s just something that happens. If Billy Preston was still alive (R.I.P.) he would sing, ‘That’s the Way God Planned It’: a great tune and a beautiful piece of work to leave the world.

On the garden front: we have a rose that usually blooms for the above mentioned sons’ birthday on 2nd August, but I did use animal manure for the first time this year, and as a result, we have an early bloom. Incidentally, the other flowers, who usually struggle in this weak soil, are now thriving, so it has been a worthwhile exercise although it has been a little smelly at times.

No comments: