Wednesday, July 12, 2006



Bossa Nova



Sitting here chilling after a hard graft in the garden and listening to my mate, Nick Peacock’s superb latin mix on Planet Latino. It started with a version of Mas Que Nada, I haven’t heard before and I have heard quite a few! Nice one. Then it just got better.

I began to wonder what is it with Scots and latin music. There is a high proportion of us that really obsess about latin music. It was always there when I was younger: the MPB sound of bossa nova & it was around in much of the jazz I listened to. Although it was only much later when I really got into that Blue Note groove. Also at that time I was more concerned with all things psychedelic.

Then there was a big push for the Buena Vista sound. I was so happy when the Happy Highlanders could not make the Buena Vista gig @ Kings Theatre a few years ago & myself & my youngest son went along & got totally blown away. He is more a Cuban music fan than I am, I am more enthralled with the Brazilian sound.

Anyway I would just like to state what a great programme this is on Radio Scotland, a radio station that has turned into something great over the last few years.

No comments: