Thursday, March 16, 2006



TENT FOR RENT


Harry, from one of my Reading Groups, has a son who wrote a recent history of the Apollo, Glasgow. This prompted me to think about more memorable gigs at that venue when it was still called ‘Green’s Playhouse’. This coincides with me digging in the crates for a 1973 live recording of the Mahavishnu Orchestra for my mate in Aviemore & who was also at an amazing concert during the same year or thereabouts by John McLaughlin’s jazzrock band.

This prompted me to think of other big nights @ Apollo e.g. my own personal favourites: Traffic/Henry Cow/John Mayall/Kevin Ayers/Ten years After. Although Glasgow has now grown so much as an entertainment capital, that we are now spoiled for choice, when it comes to live music.

For obvious reasons, my memories of this period leave a lot to be desired, but I was happier attending the Maryland, where the all night concerts might have included: Chicken Shack & the Edgar Broughton Band.

Nowadays I am more likely to be found at Mono/King Tuts/Arches or hopefully this Sunday @ the Fraser Centre, Milngavie among a select few to catch Davy Graham’s concert.

No comments: