Thursday, March 12, 2009


















































Scranky Black Farmer


Reading Graham Hood's 'Empty Pocket Blues: Life & Music of Clive Palmer.

I was really looking for more details on his trip through Afghanistan in 1966. Chapter 4's title breaks me up : Balmore Bamiyan Barlinnie. This is reference to the Afghan town where the giant Buddahs used to reside for centuries before the Taliban destroyed them. A black mark on the tolerant side of Islam!

Balmore is that area north of Glasgow where many of the folkies rested up. See also the ISB bootleg named after this area.

Barlinnie was home to Clive when he became the first person charged with the illegal possession of acid.


I had forgotten he was on my vinyl copy of the Liberty sampler 'Son of Gutbucket'. I have been catching up on all the Famous Jug Band albums & I have mentioned C.O.B.'s 'Moyshe McStiff & the Tartan Lancers of the Sacred Heart' already on this blog!.

It is a good read & well recommended by this librarian who is now reading Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road'. I believe this novel is also being made into a movie like 'No Country for Old Men'.



I am enjoying it, but it is so so bleak & depressing & dark.



No comments: