Monday, October 01, 2007

Short Term Memory Aids for the Over 50s

Finally I managed to get a copy of Joe Cocker’s ‘Mad dogs & Englishmen’. I don’t know why it was so difficult? Has it been deleted all these years?

Anyway it is such a terrific album. It is one of those pointers in my life that brings its own baggage. This is not a bad thing as it transports me back to a happy time & place in my life. Yesterday being Sunday put it all into perspective for me.

The birds singing in the trees an autumn sun, up to my mate, Dennis mcCue’s house in Hawthorn Street, him on the bass & me playing guitar & him saying wait until you hear this Joe Cocker lp. So every time I hear that album, I think of those wonderful Sunday afternoons, where everything was possible & we had all the time in the world.

George Harrison’s ‘All Things Must Pass’ does something similar. This time I am taken far away onto Colva beach in Goa in 1973. I just slept on the beach, but a neighbour had a beach hut & he used to play this lp non-stop. Some people might find this a chore, but I loved that album so much, it was pure delight.


No comments: