Monday, October 01, 2007

Essential TV Viewing for the Over 50s

Mickey Palin can be a bit insipid at times. His new series on Eastern Europe has been slagged off in some newspapers. However this writer is really enjoying it. The best scene by far & the strangest, was the Turkish wrestling festival.

All the particpants were covered in olive oil (every inch of their body!) & wore only buffalo hide pants & then they fumble, fondle, grab & slide off each other, even grabbing each other’s buttocks to try & put their opponent on the ground.

There is something so wrong about this event.

5 minutes later & the action steps up a gear & you are watching 2 camels wrestling. I know first hand, as my young brother often went to Turkey to participate in wrestling bouts, that it is a national sport, but there should be some limits.

The Turkish section was just after total Balkan gypsy madness. I am fond of the whole Balkan music scene, so I enjoyed this too.

I am deeply engrossed & I find it enthralling.

As a postscript, can I state that while writing this at 4.48 a.m on Monday morning, I am listening to Bobby Callender’s ‘The Way’ from 1972 (I have his first lp to catch up on as well) & it’s a crazy mad mental lost classic of the psychedelic variety.


No comments: