Sunday, August 27, 2006



Getting Old

Am I embarrassed or proud that the Stones are still strutting their stuff in their 60s? Personally, I believe they should have folded after their best album: ‘Their Satanic Majesties’ an album I still love deeply to this day.

However as Loudon Wainwright approaches 60 this month, we can see he is still producing great material. His offspring are doing ok, too. Reminds me of Blood, Sweat & Tears – ‘Child is the Father to the Man’. If anything he is improving with age. Yesterday, I met a lifelong friend who has only 1 year to live, he is only a year older than me & we were constant companions during those heady days of the late 60s/ early 70s. I am still in shock.

I have lost so many friends over the years, but it is important to focus on the new friends you make over this time.

These last few days have been strange. I have taken ages to write this as we have been so incredibly busy at work. I have worked in difficult situations before, e.g. while Saddam was bombing my library with Scud missiles & I have upset double murderers during my working days within libraries, but nothing can scare me like the wrath of Librarians who have days & days of solid data input into a catalogue, that should have appeared automatically.I can feel the death threats mounting. However, I am optimistic & hopeful that the dark days are behind us & we can move on.

Also I am trying to finish work in the garden between heavy showers. Its frustrating: charging up the drill only to find it impossible to get out due to the torri tential rain.

If 6 was 9: everybody’s dying: Arthur Lee. Should have went to see him over the past 2 years, when he was touring. Thought he would go on forever like all my companions from childhood. He has left a great body of work, mind you for the past week, I don’t think I have played any music after 1967: been listening to the Seeds, Standells, Electric Prunes, Chocolate Watch Band, Strawberry Alarm Clock & my current favourite: Southwest F.O.B. – ‘Smell of Incense’. I don’t know much about the latter, except that I love it. Am I getting so old that I am listening to this old music or is it because it sounds so fresh today?

Anyway, I found another corner of the world to ‘hang out’. This is where you can find other like minded oddities like Professor Roger Ruskin Spear ex- Bonzo Dogs (I actually saw him live in Greens Playhouse a hundred years ago!). It has taken me forever to discover the ‘Freak Zone’ on bbc radio 6. I cannot remember (old age) when it broadcasts in ‘real time’ (whatever that is) I will post the website address later. Looking at the recent playlists this is my music collection & this is what I would play in a 3 hour slot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/freakzone/



No comments: